Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Least We Can Do Is Desire God

PSALM 73
21 When my heart was grieved
   and my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant;
   I was a brute beast before you.
 23 Yet I am always with you;
   you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
   and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
   
And earth has nothing I desire besides you. 
26 My flesh and my heart may fail, 
   but God is the strength of my heart 
   and my portion forever.


The tendency we have as humans is to be selfish. This is true especially when times are tough. "Why me?," we ask. Self righteousness slips in... how come all these other people are fine? Why don't they suffer like me, struggle like me, etc.? In this respect, many or most of us can relate to Asaph in the beginning of this Psalm.

But Asaph is able to fight through the weakness of his mind and the selfishness of his flesh because deep down, at his core (his least), he knows that God is all he desires. Because this is true for him, it does not matter what happens. As long as he near to God, he would be alright.

What else do you desire? How does that compare when you place it "beside" God?

<< Psalm 73:25 >>

New International Version (©1984)
Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.New Living Translation (©2007)
Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth.
English Standard Version (©2001)
Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth.
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Whom do I have in Heaven with you and whom have I desired in the Earth? For you have held my right hand.
GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
As long as I have you, I don't need anyone else in heaven or on earth.
King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
Whom have I in heaven but you? and there is none upon earth that I desire besides you.
American King James Version
Whom have I in heaven but you? and there is none on earth that I desire beside you.
American Standard Version
Whom have I in heaven but thee ? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides thee.
Douay-Rheims Bible
For what have I in heaven? and besides thee what do I desire upon earth?
Darby Bible Translation
Whom have I in the heavens? and there is none upon earth I desire beside thee.
English Revised Version
Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
Webster's Bible Translation
Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire besides thee.
World English Bible
Who do I have in heaven? There is no one on earth who I desire besides you.
Young's Literal Translation
Whom have I in the heavens? And with Thee none I have desired in earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment